Study Enrolment Process
Who can participate in the MEMOIR Trial?
To be eligible for the MEMOIR trial, you must:
- Have (or suspected to have) CRPS of 6 months to 5 years duration
- Have at least moderate pain intensity and disability
- Be 18 years of age or over
- Have access to a computer (or tablet) and internet
- Have CRPS in a single limb only
You may not be eligible to participate in the MEMOIR trial if:
- You are female, of child-bearing potential and not using a reliable method of contraception
- You are pregnant or lactating
- You are taking high doses of opioid analgesics or methadone
- You are taking high doses of anticonvulsant medicines
- You are taking certain types of antidepressant medicines
- You are taking anti-psychotic medicines
- You have a heart-rhythm disorder, or you are taking a medicine to manage this condition
- You have a kidney condition
- You have a history of neurological conditions, such as stroke, seizure, Alzheimer’s
- You have an implanted spinal cord or nerve stimulator
The MEMOIR study team and trial doctor will assess your current treatments against the study eligibility criteria. Where possible, participants in all treatment groups will be able to continue their current medical, physical or psychological treatments, provided they are not listed in the study exclusion criteria.
What is required as a participant of the MEMOIR Trial
All study participants will be asked to take an oral study medicine or placebo for 16 weeks and maintain daily records of their daily dose. Participants will be required to complete outcome questionnaires, four times throughout the study (these will take approximately 20-30 minutes to complete).
Participants who receive the rehabilitation program will be asked to attend 7, 60-minute sessions via Zoom and complete guided daily activities, for 16 weeks.
Participants receiving usual care will be asked to continue their current treatment, excluding any treatments that are listed in the study exclusion criteria.
The trial treatment period will run for a period of 16 weeks. After this, participants will be required to complete two further assessments at 6 months and 12 months.